I am an avid worshipper of the dagger-sharp eyeliner flick. My theory is that if I’m is going to wear eyeliner, then it needs to be so sharp, so pointed, so lethal that I could use it to kill a man. But, of course, sometimes even I need to embrace liner that’s less vicious, and more… soft. Sleepy and gentle. Soft rounded eyeliner combined with a dewy looking neutral eye palette creates a look that’s less femme fatale with a dagger in one’s garter, and more inviting and kittenish and pillow-rumpled.
Or that’s the theory, at least. Soft painterly liner is a favourite makeup trick of mine because it always combined high impact liner in a form that’s artful and undone, and doesn’t betray the fact that it’s stupidly easy to execute at home in the bathroom mirror. (Don’t believe me? Take a peep at my soft painterly liner tutorial and see for yourself!)
Products used: Too Faced Shadow Insurance eye primer; MAC Brule, Vanilla Extract, Hey and Divine Decadence eyeshadows (all from the Eye Shadow X 15 Warm Neutral eyeshadow palette); Laura Mercier Amethyst Caviar Stick, Bobbi Brown Black Ink Long-Wear Gel eyeliner, Benefit They’re Real! mascara (get it at Adore Beauty!), Eyeko Brow Gel.
- Base: Too Faced Candlelight Shadow Insurance applied from lashline to crease, then blending up towards the browbone and used as a highlight on the inner corner of my eye. Laura Mercier Amethyst Caviar Stick applied from lashline to crease and blended over the socket line, then smudged under my lower lashes.
- Brows: Eyeko Brow Gel.
- Brow Highlight: MAC Brule eyeshadow applied with a soft broad paddle brush.
- Upper Lid: MAC Vanilla Extract eyeshadow applied over the lid, MAC Divine Decadence applied through the crease and blended up and out above the socket line, MAC Hey eyeshadow applied to the centre of my upper and lower lid with a damp brush to create a dewy damp look.
- Liner: Bobbi Brown Black Ink eyeliner dotted into my lower lashline with a fine tipped pencil brush, then applied in soft layers along my upper lashline to create a soft edged oval shape.
- Mascara: Benefit They’re Real! applied to upper and lower lashes.