Another year is rolling to a close, and with a bathroom stuffed full of product hits and misses, I thought it would be grand to share some of my favourite colour cosmetics that I’ve been using over the past year. Some of these are new releases, some are old classics, but they’ve all been in high rotation over the past year.
Best Face Product
- L’Oreal Paris Nude Magique BB Cream – this lightweight adaptive BB cream took me a while to warm up to (literally: at first I was too pale to wear it), but once I mastered applying this micro-pigment cream it became an all occasion, all weather, all season staple for me. It has a subtle luminous effect that gives my skin a pretty satiny finish without looking shiny or sparkly, and the slightly matte texture stays in place all day without budging. Nude Magique BB Cream is a seriously, seriously good little budget foundation-lite. (AU$26.95, L’Oreal Paris)
Best Eye Product
- MAC Cosmetics SuperSlick Liquid Liner in On The Hunt – this is the king, nay, the queen of liquid liners. A true midnight black, this waterproof eyeliner is budge proof for hours upon hours, but doesn’t dry to a hard cakey matte mess like so many other waterproof liquid liners. The slightly glossy vinyl finish is flexible enough to never crack or flake, yet removes easily at the end of the day with just a little cleansing oil. If I want my cats eye flick to pull a 12 hour shift with me, SuperSlick is my liner of choice each and every time. (AU$37, MAC Cosmetics)
Best Cheek Product
- NARS Cream Blush in Cactus Flower – this shimmering golden poppy blush has been my go-to cheek colour for most of this year. It gives the apples of my cheeks a dainty Snow White glow with just a little intriguing soft golden lustre, all without being too overpoweringly bright or too insipidly sheer. Trans-seasonal? More like transcendent. (AU$45, Mecca Cosmetica)
Best Lip Product
- Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturising Lip Colour Balm in Mighty Mimosa – I’m a low effort gal when it comes to lip colour, and this soft golden pink is my regular choice for a slick of soft barely-there colour as I’m racing out the door. The entire Chubby Stick range is on-point for me, delivering wearable cellophane effect colour in everything from soft nudes to candied orange, all in a non-sticky and gloss free finish. (AU$35, Clinique)
Best Beauty Tool
- Shu Uemura Lash Curler – the king of lash curlers reigns for another year, giving my sleepy eyes an instant wide-eyed and wakeful effect each time I use it. It gives a soft arch to my lashes without pinching or crimping, and is one of the few curlers on the market that works for my deep-set eyes. (AU$29, David Jones)
Agree? Disagree? Have I missed out on something absolutely vital? I welcome your opinions so let me know in the comments below!