I’ve never been much of a fan of pencil eyeliners. Most of the time they’re too smudgy, too imprecise, too all over the place. I like a well defined flick of eyeliner and I like it to stay in place all day, ya dig? My occasional exceptions to my no pencil liners rule are the Too Faced Foiled Liners (sadly discontinued) and Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes eyeliners. These suckers are seriously waterproof and last for hours*, perfect for creating a soft smudge of colour along my lower lashes.
*If you follow Make Up For Ever’s application advice, that is. The brand advises that you apply Aqua Eyes in three thin layers of eyeliner to give the best results in terms of colour pay-off and wear time. It’s a bit of extra slog and you run the risk of turning a neat crisp line into a fuzzy-edged smear if your hands aren’t steady, but it really does add to the wear time by a LOT.
I’ve dug a handful of the Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes waterpoof pencil liners I’ve accumulated over the years and swatched them out for your swatchtastic pleasure. All liners have been applied with three light strokes to give the same effect as you would get on your eye.
- 9L Gold – this is a cool gold metallic pearl that reminds me a lot of Shu Uemura eyeshadow in G Gold. It lacks the warmth of a strong yellow- or orange-based gold so I tend to use this in the inner corner of the eye for extra illumination.
- 10L Bronze – this bronze pearl liner isn’t as ruddy red-based as a lot of bronze liners out there, making it ideal for folks who find brown eyeliners can leave them looking tired and washed out. I like to smudge it into neutral eyeshadows to create a cheater’s smokey eye.
- 13L Fuschia Pink – I’m not even going to pretend that I’ve ever worn this. It was an impulse purchase at IMATS and to date all I’ve ever done with it is look at it, chuckle, and then put it back. It isn’t as bright as the plastic pencil endcap which, depending on your attitude towards hot pink eye makeup, is either good or bad.
- 8L Silver – a bright, light, white silver foil. Best used subtly along my bottom lashes with a black liner to balance a metallic silver smoky eye, or smudged on the inner corner of my eye to throw some light back. It’s a rad robo-futuristic eyeliner.
- 23L Champagne – this unassuming soft peachy champagne pearl shade is hands down my favourite liner in the bunch, and possibly one of my favourite eyeliners full stop. A quick slick on my waterline makes me look instantly awake and refreshed, while a touch of colour along my lashline gives a great dewy, soft focus effect that catches the light without being blingtastic.
Who: Make Up For Ever
What: Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes waterproof eyeliners
How Much: AU$26
When: available now
Where: PM Studio
These items were purchased by swatchgirl.com