It’s that time of the year again! My Beauty Best of 2012: HAIR, BODY & NAILS features some products I’ve written about and some products that I haven’t mentioned before, some newly released in 2012 and others old but reliable staples, but all are items that stood out to me over the course of the year. There’s no judging panels or popular votes, just what I’ve personally enjoyed using over the past twelve months.
- Australian haircare brand – Original & Mineral has been a favourite of mine for the past couple of years, simply because everything just works. There’s not a huge amount of fussing or finicking needed to maintain and style my hair using their products, and it doesn’t take an endless array of bottles and lotions and potions to get the effect I want. I value simplicity and efficacy over everything else, and O&M has that in spades. [Original & Mineral]
- International haircare brand – TONI & GUY. The TONI & GUY styling line has a bit of a makeover earlier this year, and I’m digging the direction they’ve taken with simple, functional styling products. A particular standout has been their Moisturising Shine Spray that gives subtle gloss to my super duper ultra lifted blonde hair. [Hair Meet Wardrobe]
- Body moisturiser – NUXE Huile Prodigieuse oil. This should be no surprise to anyone who follows me on Twitter, as I regularly rave about this product for all sorts of creative uses beyond just rubbing on my skin. This dry oil gives my skin a fast drink of moisture without being heavy or greasy, smells fresh and light, and leaves me all kinds of soft and smooth. [NUXE]
- Body scrub – Kit Cosmetics Tan Prep Body Scrub. I’m not a tanner by any stretch of the imagination, but this tan prep scrub has been my favourite body exfoliant for quite a while now. Sea salt, shea butter and beeswax combine to form a thick paste scrub that buffs and polishes without being greasy or scratchy. It’s rad as heck to use in the bath as well, as all the ingredients melt in the water and act like a double duty skin softener. [Kit Cosmetics]
- Body wash – Dove Triple Moisturising Deeply Nourishing Body Wash. This is The Chap’s choice of body wash, citing that it lathered up well, wasn’t soapy or harsh, and had a pleasant unisex fragrance. A little squeeze of wash also went a long way, important considering that The Chap is away for work six months out of the year and needs to travel light. There you go! Manly man tried, tested and approved. [Dove]
- Bath treat – Lush Rose Jam Bubbleroon. This squashy little pink bubble bar doesn’t look like much, but it backs a super duper rosy punch when I add it to a nice hot bath. Ever wanted to bathe in rose marmalade? This is as close as you’re ever gonna get, trust me. [Lush]
- Speciality product – Lanolips Golden Ointment. This tube of golden goo has been an absolute lifesaver this past year, as it’s the one thing that I know will reliably treat my split and cracked lips and encourage even healing with no scars. Treatment of painful split lips aside, this stuff is a wonder for dry cuticles, split knuckles, and every other minor cuts and scrapes that I get in my clumsy day to day life. What a little golden wonder. [Lanolips]
- Australian nail brand – Darling. This little Australian brand recently turned one, and it’s been fun working with the brand and watching it grow over the past year. Darling’s 3-free polishes are carefully edited to compliment seasonal trends and maintain that all-important under AU$20 price point. Just a really cute brand run by some really nice people, what more could you ask for? [Darling]
- International nail brand – Butter London. This brand hails from the UK and, despite not being hugely easy to find in Australia, I’ve really become attached to its tightly edited suite of trend colours and cult staples. Butter London is also the home of one of my absolute must-have manicure products, the effective-yet-gentle Melt Away Cuticle Eraser. [Butter London]
Those are my beauty best of 2012 in the category of hair, body and nails! Do we have any favourites in common? Anything that you’ve really loved this year that I’ve missed out on? Let me know in the comments, I’d love to know what colour cosmetics have been your go-to beauty faves this past year.