Ever had your foundation fade into nothingness or turn into a shine slick? Check out these fast five foundation tips and tricks to keep you flawless all day.
- Always moisturise and prime before applying foundation. Always both, not just one or the other! By preparing your skin with adequately moisture your skin won’t attempt to hydrate itself by producing excess oil, meaning that your complexion will remain balanced for longer into the day. A primer will extend the life of your foundation regardless of your skin type. If your complexion is oily use a very lightweight primer, and if your skin is dry look for a primer that offers extra hydration.
- Apply your foundation with a light hand. Too much product will always turn into a mess after a few hours, no matter how much you prep your skin. If coverage is your main concern then you’re better off looking for a foundation that gives high coverage in just one application rather than building up thick layers of sheer foundation. It’s also a good idea to use a brush instead of your fingers so you have better control of how much product is going onto your skin.
- Finish your foundation with powder. Powder acts like a setting agent and keeps your liquid or cream foundation in place. If you’re concerned about looking matte or dusty then I suggest using a very fine translucent powder with a large fluffy brush.
- Keep your cool! Did you know your body temperature effects your makeup? If you’re feel hot and flustered, your foundation starts to cook itself and can split and slide, or even change colour. If you can’t help but getting flushed during the day, cool yourself from the inside out with lots of cold water. Keep a face mist handy too, as a fine mist can immediately cool the surface of your skin. Look for alcohol-free mists with glycerin or make your own. If your skin is dry DIY a mist out of rose water, or opt for neroli water (or orange blossom water) if your skin is oilier.
- Touch ups are not a crime! Even dry skin can get a little shiny after six or seven hours. I like to keep some blotting papers in my bag to freshen up my makeup. Blotting away some 2pm shine is ok, but having to fully reapply your foundation isn’t.