I’ve had a bag of Bobbi Brown products sitting in my cupboard for months. Most of it I purchased in that heated joyous moment between quitting my old retail job and surrendering my staff discount card, and other pieces were gifts from other make-up artist friends. It’s all lovely stuff, of course, but I’ve haven’t actually used any of it due to more or less retiring from make-up artistry and cutting back on wearing cosmetics altogether.
A week or two I had a semi-formal dinner to attend and I decided against my usual beige and soft pink eye look and decided in that old faithful ‘make-up roulette’ – I took some time dig around to see exactly what was in my unopened bag of Bobbi Brown products and I’d wear whatever I grabbed first. One of the first things I pulled out was a Bobbi Brown Rose Shimmer Brick. Nice!
Rose Shimmer Brick is a lot less pink than it looks in the pan. There’s enough delicate gold shimmer to pull a subtle peachy tone and cut away any candy coloured overtones. The shimmer is well chosen and runs to a more pearly finish than glittery high shine, even when buffed into my skin or applied wet.
In order from top to bottom and left to right, applied dry without any base:
- a sheer white that flashes duochrome pink from different angles
- sheer golden peach
- true rose
- cool pink
- bright pink
- and last but not least, all five shades mixed together.
I’m not one for going hard and heavy with my make-up these days, so I wanted a look that was fresh and light while still being polished and structured. I contoured my face to emphasize my cheekbones and jawline, but otherwise left my skin a blank canvas.
- Laura Mercier Hydrating face primer
- L’Oreal Nude Magique BB cream
- Bobbie Brown Shimmer Brick in Rose buffed onto my cheeks and lightly blended
- Bobbi Brown gloss in ‘Petal’ applied to bare lips.
For my eyes I chose to keep all the focus along my lashline. I’ve mentioned before that my glasses make wearing eye make-up somewhat challenging, so going super dark or super bright is right out. The first eyeshadows I grabbed were a dusty mauve and a sparkling champagne, so I paired them with my faithful Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner in Denim Ink and called it a day!
- Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash eyeshadow in Champagne applied with a dry fluffy brush from crease to browbone, with whatever remained on the brush lightly applied to the eyelid
- Bobbi Brown Matte eyeshadow in Heather applied sheerly across the lid
- Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Eyeliner in Denim Ink applied above the upper lashes
- Benefit They’re Real mascara
So what do you think? Not too bad for makeup roulette, I think!
Who: Bobbi Brown
What: Bobbi Brown Rose Shimmer Brick
How Much: AU$85 for 10.3g
When: available now
Where: Bobbi Brown and selected Myer and David Jones stores